Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gone to the Birds

Hope you are in the mood for lots of eye candy and little chatter today. My little fingers are sore from all the typing I've had to do lately for my classes that I'm taking. (Actually, my fingers are fine. It's my brain that has shut down.) If I don't explain something very well or thoroughly, please leave a question in the comment section and I'll try to get back to answer any questions you may have. I'm too tired to think right now!
Lindsay has released a new set that is absolutely perfect for spring. And after three days of sunshine, I'm starting to think Spring may arrive one of these days! All the images for my three projects are from the LSS Birds and Branches digital stamp set.
First up is a card I created using small versions of three separate stamps which I then colored with copics and prisma pencils and then punched with a 1" square punch offsetting the image so that only a glimpse, not the whole image, is showing.
I tried to keep this clean and sunny!
Next I created a little wall hanging with the chick image in the set. I created two sizes of the same image so that there is a big chick with three "baby" chicks following behind. I used some SU paper that has clouds and then use my Cricut to create a scalloped circle mat. The cloud paper was originally going to be part of a different project but I really liked the "sunny" feel it gave the whole project.
Again I used my copics and prisma pencils to color in the image. Then, I found the sentiment in a PTI stamp set that was just too cute not to use. The buttons are a sweet extra touch.
Finally, have you seen all the birdhouses being made with SU's new Milk Carton Sizzix die? I have that die and will definitely be using it for an upcoming project, but I wanted to make a much larger birdhouse, so I used my Cricut, SCAL software and a Box Font to create my milk carton. Look at the size comparison.
Of course, with my Cricut I can resize the project and make it as small as the Stampin' Up milk carton. The advantage of the Sizzix die over the Cricut/SCAL cut is the scoring. The Sizzix die scores everything for you. The cut file gives you little marks but you have to do the scoring yourself, not hard, just more time-consuming. But I do love the ability to resize as needed! Look at what I created with my "milk carton".
I added a roof with some yellow cardstock that I embossed in with a cuttlebug folder. I punched the edges of the roof with my SU scalloped edge border punch. I attached the roof to the top of the closed milk carton and then punched out the birds nest from the Birds and Branches stamp set.
I hope these projects make you feel Spring's imminent approach. Be sure to check out what the rest of the LSS design team has been up to this week. I think we are all ready for warmer, sunnier days, so you are likely to see much more of the Birds and Branches stamp set!