Sunday, June 14, 2009

5 Star Cake in a Can


As school came to a glorious close, I made eleven cakes in a can for my co-workers who had summer birthdays. Now, I had to cook the cakes in a couple of different batches since I only had so many cans to work with. (I don't cook much or I'd have had more cans, but oh well!)


I decorated the cans with some Papertrey Ink bitty dots patterned paper, PTI Pure Poppy and Spring Rain ribbons, and created some embellishments with the Star Prints stamps. I originally fell in love with this stamp set because it coordinated perfectly with the SU large star punch, but what did I go and do? Did I stamp on material that could be punched out? Of course NOT. I had to stamp on fun foam and felt which then had to be CUT out with scissors! If you know anything about me, you know that trimming out stamped images is not at all one of my favorite things to do. I own a Cricut, a Cuttlebug and half a million punches so that I don't have to cut, but wouldn't you know, I'd have to take a simple project and make it all time-consuming. Actually, stars are not that hard to cut out, but if I admitted that to begin with, then I couldn't complain!

Anywhoo, I did punch out some stamped stars to create candle holders for the tops of the cakes. I glued the foam and felt stamped images to the cans which gave the cans a little dimension, too. The sentiment on the cans is also from PTI's Star Prints stamp set.
I'm pretty much through with cakes in a can for my co-workers since school is now out, but I've thought of a couple of friends with impending birthdays who might like a special little cake of their own. Usually it is the mothers and wives who bake or buy the cakes for their loved ones, but these women are often forgotten when their birthdays come up. If you want some more ideas for decorating or making cake in a can see my earlier posts. Also, don't forget to check out Jackie Gannaway's website for her book Crafty Cans From the Kitchen. There are several cake in a can recipes in this book, and all are very simple to make. The book is only $3.95.

Project Recipe
(All supplies from PTI unless otherwise noted)
Paper:Spring Rain CS, Pure Poppy CS, Rustic White CS, Bitty Dots PP in Spring Rain and Pure Poppy
Stamps: Star Prints
Ribbon: Spring Rain topnotch twill, Pure Poppy Luxe Satin
Accessories: SU Star Punch, red felt (hobby lobby), blue fun foam (walmart), cleaned recycled tin cans, candles, cellophane bags (hobby lobby), curly ribbon (dollar store)