Saturday, May 8, 2010

Book Buddies

If you missed the Sweet N Sassy SNR Digi Day 17 on Thursday, I was the hostess! The challenge is still up and if you participate before midnight Wednesday, you receive a 25% off coupon from Sweet N Sassy! The challenge is to use lace, anything that looks like lace.
I was inspired by the SNS digi stamp Lizzy Reading to Sassy. Since I am studying to be a librarian this image was just so appropriate for me, although I hope to be reading to kids not cats. I have a dear friend that is going through the whole MLS program with me and we have come running to each other regularly to whine, cry, and collaborate! But, this weekend marks the end of our semester, and I wanted to give her a little something to show her how much I appreciate her help, advise, and friendship. I found a paper mache' book at Hobby Lobby that I thought would make the perfect gift box. See what you think!

In case you can't see that it's book-shaped, look at it from this angle:
Okay, now take a look at the inside with a little gift card nesting inside. The sentiment on the inside cover is SNS True Friend.
Now that I'm a librarian, I may need to make some more of these to give as gifts! I just painted the book box with gold for the "pages" and black for the cover using acrylic paints. The paper for the book cover is Basic Grey Origins. On the inside, I printed the digi sentiment directly on the patterned paper. I colored Lizzy and Sassy with my copic markers and added some chalk around the image. The lace is from Walmart. It has holes for threading ribbon through it and I used PTI Lemon Tart Satin ribbon. I also used the PTI ribbon to create a book ribbon which I attached to the top of the "book". Then, I created some eyelet "lace" with my SU eyelet border punch. The bookplate hardware is also from SU, but I colored it with my copic airbrush system. The sentiment is SU Oval All.
I've still got to find the real goodies that I'm going to put inside, but I can't wait to give it to her!