Thursday, August 13, 2009

Messy Little Boys

I have three sons who are now grown men. But let me tell you what! They invented the phrase "rough and tumble"! They were always getting into something (another way of saying "getting into trouble") and coming in the house dirty, sweaty and smelly. They were ALL BOY! I have a hard time finding images of less-than-perfect (but ever so cute) boys, especially digital images. Then, Lindsay The Frugal Crafter pointed out a free coloring book website which has images of "Precious Moments" kids that you can download for free. I was able to find several utterly adorable little boys!!!
This little guy with his canine companion reminded me of those messy but still cute boys I raised. So after coloring him with my copics, I created a card for one of the now-big guys. The inside will read "You've grown into a fine, young man."
This card was designed to meet the requirements of THREE, yes three, challenges. The Dare U2 Digistamp Challenge was distressing, so I took some Core'dinations Vintage ColorCore Cardstock and tore the edges. Then, I ran it through the cuttlebug inside the distressed branches embossing folder, and finished the look with a little sanding. The great thing about this cardstock is it is made for distressing giving you a great contrasting core color.
Next up, I used the sketch from Digital Tuesday Challenge. I really like the clean design of this sketch. Finally, the Copic Creations challenge was "eyes". The Copic Creations design team used anime images which have these gorgeous big eyes. My image has the lovely Precious Moments characteristic tear drop eye, so I just was able to add a subtle touch of color to the boy's eye and the dog's eyes. This was the first time I've added color to eyes before. Once I got over my fears, I really liked the look. You can see a closer look at the eyes below.
Wowzer! I know people who can enter 3,4,5 challenges with one card, but usually I can only manage 2 at best. This project just seemed to come together fitting easily into the requirements of my favorite challenges. But it all started with that great image.
Project Supplies
Paper: PTI white CS, Core'dinations Vintage Collection CS, SU Old Olive and Baja Breeze CS, SU Green Tea DSP (retired), GinaK White Pure Luxury CS
Stamps: Coloring Pages Precious Moments, PTI Star Prints (sentiment)
Ribbon: PTI Ripe Avacado twill
Accessories: Cuttlebug, Provo Craft Distressed branches embossing folder, Spellbinders Oval die and ribbon slide die, shaped paperclips (unknown but I think JoAnn's), copic markers