Sunday, May 3, 2009

Spring Fling Inspiration in a Can

My neighbor said the temperature reached 100 degrees today, so I think we may have skipped right over spring down here and gone straight to summer. But Papertrey Ink is sponsoring a Spring Fling Inspiration Challenge and the design team have all found an inspiration piece that reminds them of milder temperatures and the colors of spring. See the details here.
I grabbed my inspiration from Lauren Meader's Tea Party magazine spread. I loved the yummy colors in the picture and borrowed a couple of design elements from Lauren's projects. I baked one of my cakes in a can (see previous post) for a fellow staff member who has a birthday tomorrow, decorated the can, stuck the cake in it, and "planted" a flower.


Lauren used PTI's new Guidelines Cardstock to create some patterned paper. I've been looking for an excuse to try this technique out, so I pulled out my heart prints smaller hearts to create my "blossoms". Then, Lauren and her daughter created a fan flower as part of their project, so I decided instead of sticking a candle in my cake, I would "plant" a flower. I colored the top half of a bamboo skewer with my green copic marker (don't know if these are non-toxic, so I just colored the part that wouldn't touch cake), cut out two flowers with Spellbinders nestabilities scalloped circle die, and nestled the stem in between the two flowers. Zippy, right!
Project Recipe
Paper: PTI Lemon Tart CS, Guidelines I Gridsheet, Bitty Dots Basics in Raspberry Fizz PP
Stamps: PTI Heart Prints, Birthday Basics
Ribbon: PTI Raspberry Fizz Satin Dots
Accessories: Spellbinders Nestabilities Scalloped Circle and Classic Circle, Cuttlebug, yellow buttons(unknown)