Thursday, October 15, 2009

This Side of the GRAVE


I don't know about you, but I've gotten a little burnt out on cards lately. I've made a bunch! So I decided I wanted a 3-D project for the week and as weird as this is going to sound, I fell in love with this little coffin box. The coffin is actually from a box TTF font that I purchased here. (the font includes numerous other boxes and some tags) I used SCAL and my Cricut to cut out the bottom and the lid. Then, I just filled the inside with treats.
The sentiment is from the LSS Creepy Crow Digital Stamp set. Don't forget that when you purchase $5 worth of images from Lindsay's Stamp Stuff, you get a free stamp. Lindsay has some new images in the store so be sure to check them all out! Also, it's Thursday and that means a freebie if you visit her blog. In fact, I think there's a bonus freebie link that you can also find at the Frugal Crafter blog today. Don't miss out!
Did you know you can heat emboss a digital stamp?
It works better if you use glossy or shimmery paper. The ink will stay wet longer giving you time to sprinkle your embossing powder before it dries. I use an ink jet printer and am not sure this will work with a laser printer. I believe laser printers burn the image into the paper so there's no wet ink to work with. But if you have an ink jet printer, slip in a piece of glossy paper (I used SU's glossy white but have also used PTI's shimmery white CS before). Have your embossing powder close by and sprinkle it on the image as soon as it comes out of the printer. Then, tap off the excess powder and heat with your heat tool as usual. I used my copics and my air compressor to spray color onto the embossed image giving it a mottled background of color.
The cool spider web on the coffin is from my design team buddy Tamara Bennet. It's an SVG which can be cut with SCAL and a Cricut. Be sure to visit her today. I believe she has an SVG freebie on her blog every Thursday. The drops of black "blood" are self-adhesive gemstones from The Paper Studio at Hobby Lobby.
I've done more Halloween projects this year than I did last year and I haven't even gotten started really. I still need to mass produce some little treats I can give my students and coworkers. I'm really embracing the holiday this year!
Project Recipe
Paper: SU Black CS, Orange CS (unknown), SU Glossy White CS
Stamps: LSS Creepy Crows
Accessories: Box Font, SCAL, Cricut, The Paper Studio Self-adhesive Gemstones (hobby lobby), Ranger black embossing powder, heat tool