Friday, April 17, 2009

Birthday Cupcakes

I finally finished this card for my very good friend Wyndi. Her birthday is Sunday, but her special present is on a UPS truck at the moment and won't be here until Monday afternoon, so I guess she'll have to be a few hours over 30 before she can play.


I made this card for the Little Paper Shop color challenge. The colors in the challenge were So Saffron, Perfect Plum and Certainly Celery. I really loved this combination, but when I finished the card, it seemed, I don't know, a little too "bright". I decided to give it a more vintage, old-fashioned feel, so I sponged and stippled everything with Creamy Caramel to tone it down a bit.

Oh, and I used my new tool/toy the Pixie sewing machine. Now, I did take homemaking when I was in high school, and we did have six weeks of sewing, but we had to hire a professional seamstress to fix the hem on my circular skirt before I could wear it in the fashion show. (Yes, after I turned it in for a grade.) I might be a little challenged in the sewing department. But, I love the look of stitches that you see on so many cards and I had to give it a try. Once I mastered threading the machine (by far the hardest part), I was ready to go. I know I need to practice some more, but it's a start!


The stamp is a digital stamp from LPS called Jena Baking which I originally chose with Wyndi in mind. She loves to bake and is always bringing samples of her goodies to work to share with me. I gave Jena Wyndi's blonde hair, but I don't think we'd ever find Wyndi in that dress. Still those perfectly decorated cupcakes are exactly what you'd expect from her. Hope her birthday is as "sweet" as she is!

Project Recipe
Paper: SU So Saffron, SU Certainly Celery, PTI Plum Pudding, Gina K Pure Luxury White CS, SU Delicate Dots PP
Stamp: LPS Jena Baking Digital Stamp
Ribbon: SU Certainly Celery, twine, DMC floss
Accessories: Pixie sewing machine, stickles, copics, Making Memories Lemonade Blossoms and Buttons